Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Fire Within

I stood on the rocks that broke the waves, the sky was grey and cold. I gazed ahead at the ocean, a soft orange, lazily stirring in it's own eddys.  And behind me, I saw rocks that rose to a jagged cliff that hung over me like a bad omen. All around me was a vastness that engulfed me & humbled me in to submission, for I was a speck at the whim of a greater force.

Be the rock I was told, still, unflinching, cold & relentless. I was amused at the simplicity of my task, I threw up my head & laughed. Is that all you can throw at me, is this the only challenge I am capable of? Surely, they did not know me. I took my stance up on the rock & looked towards the warm hues far away & there seemed like there was nothing to tip me over, it was so far away & I was untouchable.

I stood there as if in a trance, rooted to my spot as red clouds rolled over above me. The orange sea seemed to stir in response, like they were lost lovers rushing to meet each other. They met, swirled & merged in to one another like they were making love. I watched as their demeanours changed. They got charged & suddenly I realized they were not embracing each other, they were at war. One striking out at the other in a torrent of orange waves & red sparks.

As I watched this debacle far away, the orange waves were licking at the rocks below me like a dragon's tongue, hungry & thirsty for more. They kept coming back persistently, like they were collecting a debt unpaid. I froze to my spot and the ornage waves were steadily rising & the fury of the war afar had suddenly started grazing my rock and moving up towards me menacingly.

The violent waves were rising up aginst my rock & smouldering anything in their path. As they kept approaching me, they grew from violent children to violent giants.

Suddenly, there was a moment of calm, I was relieved thinking the worst is over and closed my eyes. Then the cruel wave came out from under me and broke their untold fury on my legs. The searing pain was inside me, the waves had lit a deep dark fire within me.

Then came the next wave as it hit me square in my stomach, I could feel myself burning within.

On & on the hungry waves kept licking at me, and the fire raged on inside me. I looked to the sky to help me stay on the spot, to not be moved by it's fury & wrath. On & on the torment kept up, with the waves rushing in to me, beating me down & then pulling back, just as I was able to breathe it would strike  down on me again, more furious than the last, deeper & hotter.

On & on it went, I look to the skies & asked, "Why me? What did I do?". I could only here a loud boom that could have been a celestial laugh or a grunt.

The fire had burnt through me leaving behind a hollow charred shell with nothing on the inside. On the outside the searing continued, I staggered & finally with an effort, I broke my stance, my silent promise, my pride, my chance at joy and jumped in to the orange sea and melted in with it.

No comments: